certified Touch teams
health and senior centers welcome Duo Touch Dogs annually
cost to facilities to have a Touch Team visit
Heart + Soul
Duo Touch Dogs provide heart and soul — enhancing a sense of unconditional love and interactivity. We’ll bring a sense of serenity and well-being and encourage activity and determination.
individuals visited each year, on average
Duo Dogs has seen it time and time again — canines have a special touch when it comes to comforting people during challenging times.
While human helpers can feel at a loss for what to say or do, dogs offer levity, bring joy, and create a sense of calm.
Duo Dogs’ Touch program certifies volunteers and their personal dogs to visit hospitals, cancer treatment centers, nursing homes, and anyplace else they can provide a comforting paw throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area. Their job can be simple (like brightening the day of everyone they encounter) or specific (acting as an effective motivational tool during physical therapy sessions).
And the benefits aren’t just anecdotal. Research has shown that visits with these well-trained dogs can lower blood pressure, reduce the amount of medication needed, and diminish overall physical pain.
A few details:
- Duo’s Touch Program is not breed specific; dogs are accepted based on their temperament and their willingness to be touched and interact with people.
- Dogs must be between 2 and 10 years of age.
- Handlers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Dogs must have completed an adult basic obedience class with their handler.
- Handlers must have had the dog in their possession for at least one year.
- Dogs may not have received any type of protection- or aggression-based training.
To get involved with Touch, please fill out the application and return it with proof of obedience and current shot record.
- Duo's Touch Program is not breed specific. Dogs are accepted based on their temperament and their willingness to be touched and interact with people
- There are more than 250 active Touch Teams in the St. Louis area visiting more than 120 facilities annually
- There is no charge to facilities to have a Touch Team visit
- In 2018, more than 179,000 individuals were touched by this program